Sunday, October 30, 2011

Last Full Day in Chicago

Sunday, Oct. 30, 2011--Chicago

It was windy with a threat of rain, but I wanted to get out and enjoy at least part of the day.  I took the train down to China Town.  Many people where there.  Apparently, it is traditional for families to go to the restaurants there on Sundays.  I stopped at a Vietnamese place and had a traditional Vietnamese sandwich for lunch.

From there I walked to Prairie Avenue.  It and surrounding streets once made up a neighborhood similar to the King William District in San Antonio.  The richest people in the city built their homes there.  But unlike King William, the Prairie Avenue neighborhood redeveloped with factories, warehouses, etc., in the early 1900s so that only about 5 of the old mansions still remain.  How sad.  Today, the factories and warehouses are being replaced by new condo developments.  They are nice, but they cannot compare to the old mansions that used to be there.

I explored one more neighborhood before calling it quits for the day.  Just north of where I am staying is the Bryn Mawr neighborhood.  It has some very nice buildings from the 1930s with art deco features.  It's a hub for nice restaurants which were filled with people having afternoon brunch today.

Because of the rain forecast, I knew I would have to return home.  Clouds covers were developing, and the winds were getting stronger.  I went to a nearby supermarket and bought a slice of quiche and a bottle of white wine to take home with me.  As I neared the apartment around 4 p.m., sprinkles began to fall.  I spent the rest of the evening inside on the computer and watching Masterpiece Theater on PBS.

No comments: