Thursday, August 13, 2009

Last Day in Varna/Off to Romania Tonight

Thursday, Aug. 13, 2009--Varna

I took advantage of having the room until noon to stay there most of the morning. I read some, organized my luggage, watched the news on CNN (none of the cable companies providing TV to the hotels where I have stayed here in Bulgaria have had BBC; they've all had CNN), etc. I checked out at 11:00 and left my luggage with a caretaker in the lobby.

I stopped at a nearby place to have a gyro-style sandwich with shaved chicken. It was better than most that I have had, because the lady put chile sauce on it and also yogurt. Thinking about it just makes me hungry for another one!!

My map was marked for the places where I wanted to go--museums, ruins, beaches, parks, etc.--so I headed off to the nearest one. I've spent the day wandering while occasionally stopping to rest and watch people. Varna is a very nice city. I can see why people enjoy coming here for their vacations. It would be more enjoyable if I were here with someone rather than by myself, however.

My train leaves for Bucharest at 22:00 tonight. That's still about 5 hours away. I will go back to the beach to watch people for a while. Then I will eat again. Before picking up my luggage at 20:00, I will stop at a supermarket and spend the rest of my change on things I can take on the trip with me, since my Bulgarian currency may not be convertible in Romania (and because I won't have enough left to be worth the cost of converting it).

I will arrive in Bucharest tomorrow and have a confirmed reservation at the Hotel Carpati for 3 nights.

No comments: