Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm Off!!!

It's 10:07 Sunday morning, May 10. I have finished everything that needs to be done here at the house except the 2-3 last-minute items such as shutting off the water to the final toilet and taking out the trash. I am expected at my friend Lyn's home at 11:00 to have Mother's Day Brunch with her, her daughter Christa, and our friends Jack and Drew. We will eat and visit leisurely. Then about 1:30 someone in that group will drive me to the airport.

I have already checked in for my flights. I'll be in economy plus, so there will be plenty of leg room. As usual, I have one small 22 inch bag to check (43 lbs/19 kg) and my small backpack to carry on. Most of my weight, as usual, is books. I have 10 books in the suitcase and 4 more in the backpack. As I travel along the way, both will get lighter and I will have more space. Right now, the suitcase is bulging! But I haven't yet opened up the expansion compartment, so it doesn't have to be so tight. Tightness, however, keeps things from juggling around inside. When I get to the airport, all I will have to do is check in my bag, watch security check it, then go to the gate. My flight is at 15:45.

Now to get dressed and do those final chores.... Then I'll literally be off on my trip. Hope Wes makes it today, too. Two years ago when he was meeting me in Anchorage, there were problems with his flights that kept him from coming until a day later. If all goes well, I will be at our hotel around 21:30 to 22:00 and he will be there around 01:00 in the morning.

Note: Canada, being an advanced country, will be a difficult place for me to update the blog. The richer the country, the fewer places there are for people to have computer access away from home. Therefore, during the first 11 days of the the trip, I may not be able to post often. When I do, it may also be with limited time, since it will probably be from a computer at a public library with restrictions on computer use.

No comments: