Thursday, July 31, 2008

Around-the-World VIII Comes to a Close

Wednesday, July 30, 2008--Chiang Mai (Continued)

I went to the area market again tonight to eat. I was surprised to see that some of the eateries from the previous night were not there. Maybe they only serve on certain nights of the week. Anyway, I had trouble finding something that appealed to me. Finally, I settled on Phad Thai. It was a good version, though, so I enjoyed it.

I decided to go to Conservation #2 to try their massage in the evening, since I had nothing else to do. I told the woman I had been to #1 and had not been satisfied. I told her I wanted it be be more vigorous (by showing that I didn't want PRESSING; I want RUBBING). She called in a man she said would be good and asked me to return in 40 minutes when he would be there. And he was not just good; he was unbelievably good. I may have had the best massage I have ever had. It was 1 1/2 hours of pure pleasure. It was always strong without hurting. Just perfect.

Thursday, July 31, 2008--Chiang Mai to Bangkok

I awoke around 4:00 this morning with my mind wandering. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I turned on the light and read a couple of chapters from my current book. Then I was able to go back to sleep for about an hour.

I was lucky. I came downstairs around 6:40 thinking I could use the computer for checking e-mail for a few minutes before having breakfast, since breakfast service starts at 7:00. But there was a German couple already eating eggs. Apparently they started the service early for them. Therefore, I ordered my omelette, prepared my toast, etc. I was finished eating and on my way out of the hotel by 7:02.

I walked to the airport. It only took 35 minutes. I knew it wouldn't take long. What's funny is that the German couple from my hotel was waiting for a pre-ordered taxi that was supposed to have arrived at 7:00 when I left at 7:02. I got to the airport, checked in, and started up the stairs to the departure lounge, and the German couple was going up the stairs, too. They had taken their taxi and had not gotten there and checked in any faster than I had while walking!

Well, Around-the-World VIII came to a close today with my flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. That was the last flight coupon from that ticket. When I leave here next week, I will be starting Around-the-World IX with the new ticket that I bought in Chiang Mai.

I am staying in a different hotel than usual here in Bangkok. The Mandarin, where I have stayed the past few years, had a fire after I left last year. When they reopened, their rates more than doubled from my usual $29-33 per night from the Internet discounters to about $69 per night. Therefore, I searched for another place and decided on the Pinnacle Lumpinee. It is a similar hotel from about the time period--a slighted faded luxury hotel. It's not in as good a location, however. I probably won't stay there again next year. I'll look for another place that is more convenient to the places where I want to go. I find it interesting that both the Mandarin and the Pinnacle have a poorer TV channel selection than I got at any of my other hotels in the Chiang Mai area. There are no premium movie channels at the Pinnacle. It has BBC, several local channels, a sports channel, and ANX, a channel that shows old TV shows and an occasional film.

No comments: