Friday, September 07, 2007

Back in Copenhagen

Spending Updates: It's been a while since I reported on spending, so I will provide updates for my last three stops:

Bangkok--I spent $362.21 (not including my new around-the-world plane ticket but including my dental expenses of $62) over the 7 days I was in Bangkok for an average of $51.75 per day.

India--I spent $841.15 (including two air tickets) over the 28 days I was in India for an average of $30.04 per day.

Berlin--I spent $87.12 over the 3 days I was in Berlin for an average of $29.04 per day. Note that I stayed with a friend and, therefore, had no housing expenses.

Since Leaving Texas--I have traveled for 111 days since leaving Texas and have spent $4030.27 (including 6 extra air tickets) for an average cost of $36.31 per day.

Thursday, Sept. 6, 2007--Berlin to Copenhagen

I have only been sleeping about 7 1/2 hours per night since arriving in Europe. It's partially due to the time change, I guess. That's still a rather fast adjustment, but I wish I could get more rest.

This morning was rather relaxed. Dieter and I had breakfast in his apartment, and I slowly repacked and got everything ready for traveling. Finally, about 11:15, we left his apartment for the airport. He just dropped me off at the curb rather than dealing with parking and fees. I quickly found my way to the checkin counters and got my boarding pass.

The plane to Copenhagen was a prop-jet. I haven't flown one of those for years (I guess since they were replaced by regional jets in Corpus Christi about 10 years ago.) But it is only a short hop and wasn't really an inconvenience. As usual with SAS now, there were charges for everything (including water) onboard. I think the man sitting beside me was surprised when he ordered a Diet Coke and was asked after it was served how he would like to pay for it. If so, he must have been doubly surprised when told that the charge for small can (about 150 ml) would be 3 Euros (a little over $4 U.S.)!

As we landed and I entered the terminal building, there was a bit of a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I get each time I return to Copenhagen since Arne's death. I can recall how exciting it always was to anticipate seeing and being with him again, and the fact that he is no longer here just knaws at me.

It was too early to head to Nurse Grethe's apartment, so I sat in the fresh air outside the terminal building and read the local newspaper. Then I caught a train. I arrived at her apartment at 15:30, and she was here to greet me. She had already been here an hour working on preparations for the dinner party she was having in the evening.

Five other friends (Kurt, Finn, Jens, Robert, and Claus) were invited to join us for dinner. They all arrived around 18:30 bringing two beautiful bouquets of flowers, a bottle of gin, and a bottle of wine. We all had gin and tonics and visited while snacking on vegetable chips and nuts. Eventually, we made it to the table for a very Danish meal--roast pork with crispy skin, boiled potatoes with brown sauce, salad, and wine. Later, we polished it off with fragilité, a layered pastry filled with caramel-flavored cream, and coffee. By the time everyone left, we were all too full, yet happy.

Friday, Sept. 7, 2007--Copenhagen

Grethe and I had a lazy morning at home today. She had the day off work. We had a breakfast and visited at the table. She went to run some errands, and I got my things that are stored in her basement when I am not here. After lunch, we went walking. We went through the two nearby cemeteries--one where her former partner Anders is buried and the other where Arne is buried. We then walked through Frederiksberg Have (a park) to Frederiksberg Center where she bought a ticket to go to the cinema and I went to the library to read the newspaper.

I am going to visit Arne's family at their summer house tonight. I must leave soon to catch my ride. I'll be there overnight and return here tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: