Saturday, June 16, 2007

Last Days in Taiwan

Friday, June 15, 2007--Tainan

It started out as a 3rd sunny day. Then showers arrived around noon. But actually, most of the afternoon and evening were just cloudy weather. So it was an easy day to be out and about.

I started early with a trip to the local campus of the National University. It is a nicely manicured campus with attractive buildings. Students were in classes, so it was easy for me to wander and explore. When the sun made it too hot to continue, I walked back across the railway tracks to the park and sat in the shade and read until noon.

I wanted another spring roll like the one I had yesterday, so I walked back to where they were sold. I was greedy and ordered two today. It was too much. I was stuffed by the time I finished them.

I rested most of the afternoon. I watched a film. I read in my novel. And then I went out for dinner at my local place. Today I had rice, about 3 kinds of vegetables, strips of tofu, and 1/4 of a chicken that had been deep fried. It was delicious and, again, too much food.

Saturday, June, 16, 2007--Tainan to Taipei

Today was my travel day to return to Taipei. My visit here is coming to an end. Early Monday morning, I will fly out of the airport here for Bali. I showered and watched CNN. Then I headed to the train station. I had a reserved seat for the 4 1/2 hour trip. During the trip I read and napped as the people in the seat beside me changed occasionally.

My first stop when back in Taipei was the tourist office. I had a map that indicated an airport bus has stops somewhere in my part of town. I asked them about it. Sure enough, a bus leaves from the nearby Hyatt Regency Hotel (next door to Taipei 101). It was a nice afternoon and I had been sitting on the train, so I walked home going by the Hyatt to find the location of the bus stop and timing the walk from there to the apartment--20 minutes. I have to take the first bus of the morning on Monday. It leaves the Hyatt at 4:40, so I will have to leave the apartment around 4:10. That's going to be a bad day, but I at least already know how long it will take me to get to the bus stop and where it is located once I get to the hotel.

I'm staying inside the apartment for the rest of the day. I have it to myself until this evening when two new residents will arrive. The manager will bring them over and will bring me fresh sheets at that time. Ignatius, the medical student I have met for dinner twice, will come here for dinner tonight. We'll buy something locally and eat it here in the kitchen.

No comments: