Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Hot Days in Chennai

Hot Days in Chennai

Monday, Oct. 2, 2006--Chennai (Cont.)

I went back to the hotel and relaxed and napped during the hot afternoon. My nose had burned while I was out walking, but I am hoping it wasn't enough to make it peel.

I went back out in the evening only for dinner. I ate a wonderful meal that was very spicy--paneer butter masala. Paneer is the Indian cheese I like that is often served in a spinach dish in Indian restaurants in the U.S. I had made butter masala sauce in Texas last year from a recipe printed in the newspaper from a local restaurant. But this was so much better. It was much spicier and had so much more flavor. It was also darker. I had two rotis with the dish. Those are like whole wheat tortillas. And I washed it down with another nice limeade.

While I was out, I found another hotel that I like. I may move to it on Wednesday after the time I have paid for at this place is up. While wandering and looking, a mosquito fogger truck came by. It was such a heavy fog. I hadn't seen such a truck since I was a kid, I don't think. I ran about half a block away from the machine and used my shirt sleeve to try to keep the fog from getting into my lungs. I was glad to see that the truck passed right in front of my hotel.

Back in the room, I watched TV and read in the novel I am currently reading. I was tired, so I went to bed around 10:00. I didn't sleep well, however, for several reasons: 1) There was a mosquito (or two) that had gotten into the room, so the fog wasn't very effective. 2) There were some dogs that started fighting at one point. 3) It rained heavily sometime during the night waking me up.

Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006--Chennai (Part 1)

I was up early again this morning. I walked to a juice bar and had a fresh pineapple drink. Then I caught a bus going to the suburban areas (and eventually to a train station where I knew I could catch a train back into town). Even in the suburban areas, Chennai does not impress me. The people are nice, but the town is rather dumpy looking. The bus went down what is currently the main shopping street in town. It wasn't very impressive. There were a few nice buildings, especially as I got closer to the edge of town, but nothing to make me think that visiting Chennai is a must for anyone coming to India.

Both the bus and the train were crowded. The train, as usual, was the worst with all of us packed like sardines. Everyone is as considerate as possible, however. And the rides do not last long. It's a REAL INDIAN experience to ride a packed bus or train!

Once I was in town, I walked to Chennai Fort. It was built by the British beginning in the 1600s. There are many old buildings. Most are unrestored for at least 70 years or so. It's too bad. A very few are in fairly decent condition. I talked with a group of soldiers dressed in their uniforms which include a beret with a red feather staff sticking up. I toured the old church on the base. I skipped the museum, since my guidebook had said nothing about it.

From the fort, I walked to the University of Madras campus. It is filled with wonderful examples of architecture with many of the buildings based on Islamic styles. It is right across the street from the beach, so it is a great location for a campus. It is also very near to my hotel.

From there, I walked back to my base area and had lunch. This time, I had the mini-lunch. That's what it is called here; in most of India it is called the thali plate. It was served on a stainless steel cafeteria-style tray. There was dal (lentil soup), a vegetable, three kinds of rice (one yellow with vegetables in it, one brown with spices in it, and one white with yogurt in it), pickle (which is a spicy mixture for making foods stronger), two kinds of breads (crisp papadam and soft tortilla-like flatbread), and rice pudding. I ordered lime juice as usual to go with the meal. I sometimes drink the water they serve with meals assuming it has been boiled or filtered, but today I saw the waiter filling the water pitchers from the tap. Guess I will stop drinking their water at restaurants.

I will head back to the hotel to relax now. A young student I met over an Internet travel forum will come meet me tonight. He helped me with hotel information before I arrived here. We'll visit and maybe go out to eat together.

No comments: