Saturday, September 02, 2006

R & R in Hue

For the first time since arriving in Vietnam I have a connection that works well. Last night, I was able to post to the blog, but I was never could log into my e-mail. And you have read in the previous blog entries about problems on other days. It's nice to be able to catch up on communication. It's especially nice to read my e-mail and know that there are no problems that have developed while I wasn't able to get online.

Well, those of you in Texas should be getting the first cool front of the year in 2-3 weeks. That should be a relief to you after this hot, dry summer. I'm glad that I will be there next fall to enjoy that. I like the autumn and am looking forward to the feel of the air, the smell of the air, taking hikes without being miserably hot, etc.

I'm in Hue right now. It's a wonderful place. I remember reading how Johnson had declared it a no-bombing site to protect it during the war (which he or Nixon later rescinded). It's too bad. The Imperial City here is really nice. I wish the parts we destroyed were still standing. Tomorrow (which will be my last day of four days of rest and relaxation here), I will rent a bicycle and ride south of town to explore the tombs of the former emperors. They should be grander than the Imperial City. Yesterday, I especially enjoyed watching the boat races they had on the river to celebrate their independence day.

It is so hot here, however. I burned some yesterday. Today, I am using my umbrella as a parasol to cover up when I walk in the sun. I'm exploring the old section of town where the Chinese settled and started operating businesses many years ago. I bought a special sesame seed candy at a beautifully restored Chinese shop and will pack it in my bag along with the peanuts I always carry as emergency rations.

Two notes:

1. Lurkers. I got an nice e-mail from a lurker--one who was reading the blog without my knowing about it. Her name is Cher, and she is the daughter-in-law of a childhood friend (Carol Maroney). She, too, is a traveler and had wonderful stories to tell me. She'll probably start her own blog someday. Anyway, it was nice to hear from her. Are there any other lurkers out there who would like to identify themselves? If so, write me an e-mail at rldrum78412@yahoo.com .

2. Format Change. I'll be back online in a day or two to post in the usual format. In the meantime, I have a question for those of you who read the blog that I have already asked of a couple of friends. The format this year has a bit different since I left home in August. Instead of writing a detailed journal and transcribing it to the blog (as I had done previously), I am writing only an outline of reminders in the journal. Then I am writing extemporaneously when I log onto the blog to post. Can you sense the difference in the tone? Is it an improvement or not? Feel free to write me an e-mail at rldrum78412@yahoo.com to let me know what you think.

No comments: