Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Around-the-World VI Continues--Itinerary & Book List

Itinerary Information

I'm about to depart on more of Around-the-World VI. It began in January in Lisbon and continued with my travels in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Mexico City. Now it will continue with the following stops:

Aug. 18 UA 6397 from San Antonio to San Francisco; UA 893 from San Francisco to Seoul (Note: I visited Seoul last year; this year I will tour southern South Korea for 9 days.)
Aug. 27 OZ 733 from Seoul to Hanoi
Aug. 27-Sept. 25 Overland Travel in Vietnam
Sept. 25 TG 681 from Saigon to Bangkok

I will be buying a new ticket for Around-the-World VII in Bangkok and making it the city in the future for beginning and ending each trip. The ticket price in Bangkok is as cheap as in England. Because I stop there for at least a week each year, it will be easier ending a ticket when I arrive and starting a new ticket days later than it was trying to end a ticket and begin a new one on the same day in London each year; I always feared missing my connection, and there is a fast rule for ATW tickets that you must take your first flight on the scheduled date. Anyway, I have already planned the itinerary for ATW VII, but I don't have the dates or flight numbers yet. Here is the part of its itinerary that will get me back to the U.S.:

Bangkok to Chennai (Madras) around Oct. 1
Overland in India for about 10 weeks
Bangalore to Frankfurt/Frankfurt to Copenhagen (Probably Dec. 6)
Copenhagen to Washington/Washington to San Antonio (Probably Dec. 11 or 12)

Therefore, I will be away from home for about 4 months this time out. And I will be back in Texas for Christmas for the first time in about 22 years. (I'm sure it won't be as nice as Christmas in Denmark, however!)


Reading List for This Trip:

I will be taking the following books (each linked to Amazon.com for you to read about them by clicking on the titles below) with me as my reading material:

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahini
The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth
Last Orders by Graham Swift
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fall or Succeed by Jared Diamond
Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
A Frolic of His Own by William Gaddis
Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian
White Teeth by Zadie Smith


Anticipate Regular Postings with a Different Procedure

I will be making my usual postings as I travel, but I will follow a different procedure. In the past, I have handwritten a journal each day. When I have gone to a cyber cafe, I have typed directly from the journal. This time, I plan to keep only outline notes in my journal. When I go to the cyber cafe, I will use these notes to guide me as I type extemporaneously about my travels. I hope this will make reading the blog more interesting. Please feel free to e-mail me to let me know what you think of the changes.


Final Reminder

As I have told many of you before, the blog represents 0ne-way communication from me to you. When you read the blog you know where I am and what I am doing. However, when I am traveling and writing it, I am alone and have no communication coming my way unless you write me. I can go days and weeks without even having an extended conversation with a person, so traveling can get quite lonely. Therefore, in return for whatever enjoyment the blog brings you, I would appreciate it if you would write me e-mails occasionally. My e-mail address is in the bar on the left side of the blog page.

No comments: