Wednesday, January 12, 2005

In Argentina Now

Tuesday, Jan. 11 (Part II)

I spent 1 1/2 hours on the Brazilian side of the falls this afternoon. It really is beautiful. I was able to enjoy it much more previously, however, because the weather wasn´t so oppresively hot then. Everyone was miserable today except down at the end where a catwalk allows visitors to go into the mist of the big, curved fall called the Devil´Throat. The mist was so refreshing there, and people lingered creating a crowded situation. Fortunately, I had my hand fan with me during the climbing and hiking part. I am sure others were envious when they saw me fanning away. And children would give me the happiest look when I would turn the fan on them and wave it a few times!

There have been changes at the falls. First, there is a new visitor center. Before, the local bus stopped for us to buy tickets at a gate and then took us to the falls. Now, the park has its oown buses, air-conditioned downstairs and open, yet covered, upstairs. A nice result of that change is that there are no longer touts on the buses trying to sell special concesions--a kayaking trip, a jungle tour, etc.

Another change that I don´t like is that they have extended the trail so that the first sight is of about 2/3 of the falls. The original entrance, which is till there and can be taken, allowed a view of only about 1/4 of the falls. I remember that first time thinking, "Well, that´s impresive, but it´s not as much as I expected," and then turning a curve and being shocked to see how much more there was. They took the tease away by extending the walkway and, in effect, made the experience less impresive.

I didn´t see any of the animals (coatis?) that used to hang out at the beginning of the trail and pester tourists. I saw several kinds of reptiles related to lizzards with the biggest one being about 16 inches (40 cm) long. Also, there was a wonderful flock of birds with light yellow chests, blue wings, and red-orange "eyebrows" in one tree. As usual here, there were gorgeous bright and friendly butterflies. They will actually land on people if you stay rather quiet and still. I saw bright orange ones and irridescent blue ones today.

I have now had a second shower of the day. It may not be my last either. It is imposible to go out without getting damp and sticky here. And from what I have read in the guidebooks, some of the places I will visit later this wek in Argentina will be even worse! I may have to reconsider being in South America this time of the year. I could reverse my routing so that I am in Asia in January-April, Texas in May-Sept., and in South America from November through December. I know that is the best (and most expensive) time of the year to be in Asia because of the dry season. I am not sure if November and December are any better months here in South America or not.

I went out to get a snack and decided to have a wrap at an Arabic restaurant. There are many Arabics living here. Besides their owning several restaurants, they have a large mosque and there is an Arabic channel on TV. My wrap was unique. Besides the chicken cooked in layers on a skewer and the typical vegetables, it also had French fries inside the pita bread! It was good, however, after I learned to pour, rather than drip, the hot sauce on it.

I got out of Sao Paulo just in time. All the news channels are showing flooding there today. Of course, there is no way for me to know if it was localized or not, but I am happy to have avoided a rainy day.

Walking: 17,025 steps (5051 aerobic steps), 741 calories, 11.57 km (6.9 miles)

Wednesday, Jan. 12 (Part I)

Argentina, here I am! I have been here on a day trip to the falls before, but this is my first time to travel in Argentina. Before, the country was more expensivethen traveling in Texas. I knew the set value of their currency was too high and could not be sustained, so I just waited. I am sorry the people had to suffer from the collapse of their currency, but it was caused by the government reaching too high, too fast; their economy just could not support such a high value. The prices here are now more in line with those of the major neighboring countries when translated to a third currency for comparison purposes.

I thought I was paying $31 U.S. for my room in Brazil last night. Now, I am unsure. It may have been 31 Rais. If so, it was as bargain. The posted price on the wall was 80 Rais, so I figured the 31 was a conversion into dollars. When I paid this moring with a credit card, it was for 31. Maybe their machine charges in dollars, but that would be unusual in another country. I will see what my bank statement says when the charge is posted. Surely it was $31 U.S. The hotel was too nice for 31 Rais, but it really wasn´t worth $31.

Crossing the border was easy. The bus let us off for Brazilian customs check-out, leaving us with tickets for the next bus. That bus took us to Argentinian customs and waited while we checked in there. He only waited 5 minutes, however. I was back on the bus, but some Germans were left behind. They probably had to pay again for another bus. The driver was telling someone about the fact that the ticket says he only has to wait 5 minutes at the border. He was driving fast, so she probably gets paid by the number of paying passengers or the number of trips.

I like Puerto Iguazu, the town on the Argentine side of the border. It is like a village, whereas Foz do Iguacu, the Brailian city, is a fairly big place. (Cuidad del Este, the city in Paraguay across the other border here, is the worst. It is huge, crowded, and has a junky feel to it.)

I had trouble finding a single room. I gues that will be a problem everhwhere this time of year. I went back to the tourist office at the bus station three times to be suggestions. I eventually took a room from a man I met while walking. He has 4 rooms lined along one side of his back yard. There is a nice porch along the front with a table and chairs for each room. I am sitting at my table now. There is a breeze. The yard is filled with tropical plants and fruit trees, and I can hear wonderful bird sounds in the distance. I like relaxing here. Today, I will read, go to the bank, eat, read some more, etc. Tomorrow I will go to the falls on this side. Then Friday I will head to my next stop, San Ignacio Mini, the best of the ruins of the old Jesuit missions in the area.

NOTE: This keyboard has problems. Often double letters don´t register even though I type them. Also, some of the keys are closer together to put special keys in spaces. Hope you can figure out what I meant if letters are missing or others are inserted where they shouldn´t be!




































No comments: