Friday, July 24, 2009

Last Day in Saranda

Thursday, July 23, 2009--Saranda (Continued)

Internet cafes are twice as expensive here in Saranda as they were in Berat. Water costs 20% more here, and other prices seem higher. Guess that's what happens at a summer resort.

I met two Americans. They had just gotten off the bus. They live in Stuttgart and are touring through this area. We had a nice conversation. They were planning to take the boat from here to Corfu, the Greek island that is visible off shore. Then they will head to other Greek islands after a few days there.

I finished reading Remnant by Christy Kenneally. It's not the usual kind of book I read--not a prize winner or nominee, not a well-written book either. But it was an interesting mystery. I gave it 2 1/2 stars (out of 4).

In the evening when it was cooler, I walked along the promenade for an hour watching people. Everyone was off the beaches and strolling, shopping, playing games, etc. Of course, different crowds are out at different times. Even after I returned to my hotel, I noticed people heading for the beachfront. But these were dressed for the nightlife. My neighbors went out, too, and did not return until 3:30.

I stopped at a "fast food" place near my hotel for dinner. I ate half of a roasted chicken with lemon juice squeezed over it, and I drank a beer with it. It was delicious and a nice change for my diet.

Friday, July 24, 2009--Saranda and Butrint

I went halfway across town to the bus station to catch the bus to Butrint only to discover that it leaves only 2 blocks from my hotel! Then I had to wait for 45 minutes after I got to there.

Butrint is a national park that consists of the ruins of an old settlement here that was active during the Greek, Roman, Babylonian, Venician, etc., period of occupation. It is nice, but it is no Effesus. It is mostly foundations with a few ruins that have some walls. Forests have taken over the grounds around the remaining ruins, so they provide a nice shade for walking through the area. It is the best that Albania has, I guess, in terms of ruins, but I have seem much better in many other places. I'm not sure it was worth the cost of admission and the transportation there and back.

After napping at the room in the heat of the day, I went to the nearby fast food restaurant where I ate last night and get a pita sandwich. It was stuffed with big chunks of pork, very tasty tomato and onion slices, a very thick yogurt that may have been homemade, etc. All I had eaten so far today was a slice of spinach pie in the morning. Then I headed to a cyber cafe around the corner. After just a few minutes there, the Internet connection was lost. So I walked along the promenade. I was carrying the book I had finished yesterday and watching for tourists. Just as I passed the tourist office, an older couple from Britain walked down the steps and I could hear their accents. They were so happy to get the book, and I was so happy to get rid of the weight.

I keep hearing polyphonic music here much like that I heard in Georgia last year. One of the Peace Corps Volunteers told me it is common here in southern Albania but not in the rest of the country. I really enjoy the sound.

Tomorrow, I will head to Tirana, the capital of the country. It will be a long, horrible bus ride. But it has to be done!

No comments: